Because of a recent law, more families qualify for and will get money from the Child Tax Credit (CTC), even those that don’t have recent income. You could get up to $3,600 per child. You will get half of this money in 2021 as an advance payment and half in 2022 when you file a tax return.
Even if you don’t owe taxes or have no income, you can still get this full tax credit. Use the GetCTC Non-filer tool to get the advance CTC or missed stimulus checks if you don’t need to file a 2020 tax return.
If your child aged 17 or under with a Social Security Number (SSN) lives with you, you likely qualify for the CTC. If you already received your stimulus checks, the IRS has your information – do nothing.
To use GetCTC, you will need:
- A computer or cell phone with access to the internet: the form works well on phones
- Full legal name for yourself and qualifying children
- Your SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and SSNs for your qualifying children
- Date of Birth for yourself and qualifying children
- Mailing address: If you are unhoused or don’t have a permanent address, ask your local shelter or service provider if you can use their address. If you can’t find one that will provide permission, you can also ask to use a trusted relative’s or friend’s address. The IRS will deliver checks to P.O. boxes.
- Email address (optional): If you don’t remember or have the password to your email, you can create a new email address for free through a website like Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, or AOL.
- Bank Account direct deposit/routing number (optional): Direct deposit is the quickest and safest way to get your payment. If you don’t have a bank account, you can still get your payment through direct deposit using a prepaid reloadable debit card, CashApp, Venmo, or PayPal, or opening an online bank account. If you cannot use these options, you’ll get your payments as a paper check.
- Your 2019 Adjusted Gross Income (optional): If you filed a 2019 tax return (which you file in 2020), you’ll need to enter your exact 2019 Adjusted Gross Income to use GetCTC.
This is an example of GetCTC. Questions will be asked throughout the process to help determine your eligibility for CTC advance payments and if eligible, the information you submit to GetCTC will be sent to the IRS so that you can claim your CTC payments and any missing stimulus checks.
Chat support is available. If you need additional support, read about the resources available.