Understanding your IRS Letter 6419 (Advance Child Tax Credit Payments)

By Tim Solanki, 2022 Get It Back Campaign Intern

It’s not too late to get your Child Tax Credit! You may be eligible even if you didn’t have earnings in 2021 or don’t normally file taxes. Visit GetCTC.org through November 15, 2022 at 11:59 pm PT.

The IRS recently sent out Letter 6419 to those who received Advanced Child Tax Credit payments in 2021. To get the second half of the Child Tax Credit, you will need to report the total amount of the payments you received on your 2021 tax return. For a small number of people, the amount shown on their Letter 6419 (Advance Child Tax Credit Payments Letter) may be incorrect.

Who might have an incorrect amount on their Letter 6419?

The IRS states that there are few people who have incorrect payment amounts shown on their Letter 6419. People who received an incorrect Letter 6419 may include:

  1. Individuals who recently changed addresses
  2. Individuals whose payments were undelivered;
  3. Individuals who changed their bank accounts

I am married filing jointly. Why does my Letter 6419 show the wrong amount?

If you are a couple filing jointly you may have noticed a discrepancy when you received your Letter 6419. According to the IRS, letters sent to married couples only show half the amount of advance payments they received. Each spouse will receive a letter. You must add the amounts on both letters and enter the total when filing your joint return.

My IRS Letter 6419 has the wrong amount, how can I resolve this problem?

When you receive your Letter 6419, compare it with the amount you received. Check your bank account statements or other record-keeping systems you use. If it seems correct, it likely is – incorrect letters only affect a small number of people. If your IRS Letter 6419 has the wrong amount, you can:

1. Check the IRS Online Portal. If you do not have an account, you can create one through ID.me. If you used the Child Tax Credit Update Portal last year to view or modify your advance payments, you can use the same login information here.

The IRS Online Portal has the most accurate and up-to-date information. Use the amount you find on your account instead of the amount listed on your IRS Letter 6419.

2. Call the IRS at 800-908-4184 if you cannot access your account. This is the number listed on Letter 6419. Do not call the phone number on the IRS website.

What if the amount of advance payments the IRS provides (on my IRS online account or over the phone) differs from my own records?

You will need to decide which number to use. If you use a number that is different from what the IRS has on record, your tax refund will likely be delayed. If the difference is small, it may be better to use the IRS’ number. Contact a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) for guidance.

Once you have determined the correct amount of advance payments you received, you can enter the information when prompted by your tax software or on Schedule 8812 of Form 1040.

Recommended for you

The latest