Resources for Tax-Related Help from Humans

Sometimes people have questions about the Child Tax Credit, other tax credits, or tax filing that are not easily answered through an online resource or FAQ. Consider these resources when you need to connect someone with a human.

Filing a Tax Return

  • IRS Free Tax Preparation Locator: Contact your local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites for free tax help from an IRS-certified volunteer. The list is updated at the beginning of the tax filing season. Some sites require appointments and have limited capacity.
  • Code for America’s Get Your Refund Service: This website connects users with an IRS-certified volunteer that can help you file your taxes online for free. Capacity is sometimes limited.
  • Provides software for people to file their federal and state tax returns for free. User support is available through a helpline. People can also get connected to a VITA site for additional help.
  • 211: This hotline service from United Way connects people to local resources for support. It can direct callers to any free tax filing services and many locations can answer basic questions about the CTC.

Getting the Child Tax Credit (CTC)

  • This website is a mobile-friendly, easy-to-use tool to get your Child Tax Credit and any missed stimulus checks. Chat support is available with IRS-certified volunteers. It is also available in Spanish.
  • IRS CTC Hotline: Call 800-906-4184 to connect with an operator who can answer general questions about CTC eligibility and payment delivery. Call operators are unable to view someone’s tax information.

Tax Filing Challenges

  • Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC): LITCs are programs at law schools, accounting schools, or legal services offices that provide low-cost assistance and legal representation for eligible taxpayers who are in disputes with the IRS.
  • Community Legal Aid: Local legal aid services can provide free or low-cost legal help for people experiencing tax issues.
  • Law Help: Locate free or low-cost legal aid in your area. Select your statethen find information about your topic of interest, such as family, divorce, and children.
  • Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS): TAS is an independent organization within the IRS that can help people navigate and resolve tax issues. They currently cannot help people experiencing a refund delay. Contact your local office to learn what assistance is provided.
  • IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs): These locations provide limited support with tax filing matters. Some locations are designated to verify identification documents necessary to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) so that the originals do not need to be mailed to the IRS. Appointments are required. Contact your local TAC to verify services offered and to schedule an appointment.

CTC Texting Lines

  • This website offers tools and resources to help new parents making less than $40k access and save tax credits. New and expecting parents can sign up for texts via this link: or by texting “CTC” to 844-921-5747 to stay informed about key updates in the portals (like when the feature to add a child born in 2021 goes live), get links to resources, and text-in questions.
  • United State of Women: People can Text “CTC” to (202) 918-4867 to get immediate confidential support from a team member. This texting line provides answers to questions about CTC eligibility and how to get the credit.

The latest