What happens if I didn’t get the stimulus checks for my child?

Updated 1/27/2021

If you didn’t receive the additional $500 from the first stimulus check and/or the additional $600 from the second stimulus for your eligible children, you can claim the amounts as the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2020 federal tax return.

You will need to know the initial amounts of the first and/or second stimulus checks that you received to complete the Recovery Rebate Credit worksheet on your 2020 tax return. You can look at your Notice 1444 and 1444-B, which was mailed to you and shows the amounts of the first and second stimulus checks that you received. You can also check your bank statement if you had your payment direct deposited. If you no longer have the IRS notice(s) or received a paper check, you can provide this information based on memory.

Need help filing your 2020 tax return?

Visit Code for America’s Get Your Refund service which uses IRS-certified volunteers to deliver free virtual help filing taxes.

You can also contact your local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or AARP Foundation’s Tax-Aide site which offers free tax filing services. In light of COVID-19, many sites are closed for in-person services. Some may offer drop-off or virtual tax services to continue assisting people with safe tax preparation. Call your VITA or Tax-Aide site to see what services they provide.

The deadline to file your taxes this year is April 15, 2021.

Recommended for you

The latest