By Janne Huang
Friday, January 26, 2018 marks EITC Awareness Day. On this day, the IRS encourages organizations across the country to bring attention to the EITC by hosting events and engaging media. This is also a time to highlight free tax preparation and other refundable tax credits like the Child Tax Credit, the American Opportunity Tax Credit, and the Premium Tax Credit.
Here’s how you can promote the Earned Income Tax Credit.
1. Post graphics on social media
We’ve created several social media toolkits with images you can share on Facebook and Twitter.
2. Share this EITC video
We made a quick video to explain (in simple terms) what the EITC is, why it matters, and the impact it has on millions of Americans.
3. Join Thunderclap
Thunderclap is a platform that allows you to share a single message in mass. Help spread the word about the EITC by signing up for the IRS’ thunderclap, and your Facebook or Twitter page will automatically post on EITC Awareness Day. Signing up is easy and quick and helps flood social media with outreach.
4. Share these blogs
Share these blogs on Facebook and Twitter or repost to your blog. Let us know if you reblog a post.
- Six Ways the EITC Helps Kids in Schools
- Ten Facts You Didn’t Know about the EITC
- How much are the EITC and CTC worth in 2018?
- Four Reasons Every Parent Should Know About the Earned Income Tax Credit
- Are Foster Parents Missing Out on the EITC?
- Get the Most Out of Your Tax Refund
5. Provide EITC resources to clients and partners
Distribute outreach materials about the tax credits to families and partner organizations. Help workers learn eligibility requirements and where to find free tax help. Customize posters and flyers to add details about your local VITA site.