More people than ever before qualify for significant new tax benefits this year. You don’t have to be a tax expert to help individuals and families learn about and claim tax benefits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC)!
Claiming these tax credits can put eligible people on the path to securing better housing, obtaining dependable transportation, paying for quality child care, or pursuing higher education.
This kit provides the resources community organizations and agencies need to connect people to tax credits and free tax help.
Key Tax Credits
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Child and Dependent Care Credit
- Stimulus Checks (Economic Impact Payments)
Promoting Tax Credits and Free Tax Help
Community-based outreach activities are critical to help people who are eligible for tax credits learn about and claim them. This includes people who become newly eligible due to tax law changes, earn too little to be required to file a tax return, enter the labor force for the first time, earn less than expected during the year, mistakenly think they don’t qualify for the credits, or don’t know they can file their taxes for free and claim tax credits for up to three previous years.
Explore these outreach strategies to help people get the money they qualify for:
Strategies for Institutions
- Public Benefit Agencies
- Businesses and Employers
- Utility Companies
- Faith-based Organizations
- Money Management Services
Strategies for Communities
- Workers and Children with Disabilities
- Domestic Violence Survivors
- Foster Parents & Grandparents
- Immigrant Families
- Rural Communities
- Tribal and Native Communities
- Adults Not Living with Children
- People Experiencing Homelessness
- Individuals Released From Prison
- Military Personnel and Returning Veterans
Incorporate these materials in your outreach efforts. Feel free to customize and adapt the content as needed.
- Guidance on Effectively Using Outreach Materials
- EITC and CTC Outreach Toolkits – includes messaging and earned media materials, social media posts, call and text scripts, newsletter copy, and flyers and mailers